It looks like the "Randy's Journal" blog for Boeing has been updated with an entry talking about L/N 1500 starting production. At the end, it links a new promotional video that they have created talking about the 747 as a flagship through the years, and discussing the -8 variant in particular.
You'd expect the usual marketing stuff from a Boeing commercial.. but 8% more efficient than an A380? What kind of cheek do you have to have to produce a video like that, knowing that 99% of the target audience are educated enough to catch your lie? I mean come on.. there's ridiculous and then there's this little masterpiece..
Post by gennadius01 on Dec 18, 2013 22:41:38 GMT 1
As XWB noted in the 2013 deliveries thread, the first PIP 747-8 is scheduled to be delivered today. The commercial aviation blog at Aviation Week had the following information:
The first Boeing 747-8F to be powered with the performance improvement package (PIP) version of the GEnx-2B67 has been delivered to Cathay Pacific from the manufacturer’s Everett site in Washington. The aircraft is the Hong Kong-based carrier’s 11th 747-8F.
The upgraded engine forms the core of a broader set of aerodynamic and structural improvements that have been introduced since the freighter and passenger versions of the aircraft first entered service in 2011 and 2012 respectively. “Together with the other improvements made since entry-into-service on the 747-8F at the end of 2011, the engine PIP bundles 1.8% with another 1.7% for a total of 3.5% (fuel burn),” says 747-8 chief project engineer Bruce Dickinson. In addition to drag reduction and improvements to the cruise efficiency of the wing, the empty weight of the 747-8 has been reduced by almost 8,000 lb, while payload-range capability has been boosted through a 12,000 lb. increase in maximum take-off weight. The GEnx-2B67 PIP incorporates an all-new low-pressure turbine, as well as compressor, combustor and turbine improvements derived from the second batch of upgrades (PIP II) devised for the GEnx-1B engine on the 787. GE provisionally expected a 1.6% fuel burn improvement but, based on positive test data, upped this to 1.8%. The package of upgrades was launched after pre-delivery flight tests revealed a fuel burn performance shortfall in excess of 2%.
I think many of those numbers were detailed at some level before, but I'm not sure if they have all been collected together as it was there.
I was wondering however, is the change in empty weight and change in payload-range capability factored into the fuel burn numbers? Or is that independent, and it is just additional data that is factored into overall performance of the aircraft?
Regardless, congratulations to Boeing and GE on getting the PIP out, and to Cathay for finally being able to take delivery of their birds that have been sitting and waiting for the certification. :-)
Also, 747classic, over on airliners.net, noted that there were 2 747-8I UFOs added as well. That means a gross of 17 (11 8Is and 6 8Fs) for 2013, and a nice note to end a good year for the 747-8 program. Any ideas on who the UFOs could be? There are two as-yet outstanding CA orders for 8Is, however since those are specific to that airline, I don't think they would be listed in this fashion.
Here is the link to the Boeing active orders page, which details those additions.
Last Edit: Jan 6, 2014 21:25:18 GMT 1 by gennadius01: Added link to the orders page